Cosmetic Dentistry in Culver City and Los Angeles Metropolitan area
Cosmetic dentistry can help correct various problems, such as misaligned teeth, broken teeth, chipped teeth, or missing teeth, or a combination of issues. You can learn more about our advanced cosmetic procedures here:
Cosmetic dentistry is primarily used to improve the overall appearance of the teeth and smile, but it can also improve the function of the masticatory system. For example, we can increase the length of the front teeth to create a more favorable relationship between the upper and lower arches. This procedure also helps protect the teeth and avoid further damage. We can also improve the function of the Temporomandibular Joint (the joint that connects the mandible to the base of the skull), and often resolve the symptoms and pain associated with TMJ dysfunction.
It is not only a matter of vanity. We noticed over the years, after working on many cases, one result that is often missed is the improvement in self steam and degree of happiness! No Kidding! When patients feel that their teeth are unattractive, they may tend to have a low upper lip smile to hide their teeth. It is an unconscious strategy to avoid ridicule by others. Some people may even avoid contact with people all together.
There are many procedures and techniques we use to improve a patient’s smile. Treatment depends on a patients’ individual needs, but can include:
- Teeth Whitening: If the main issue is color, we start with a teeth-whitening treatment and observe the results. In some cases, that’s all the patient needs.
- Cosmetic contouring and shaping: If the teeth are mildly out of alignment or one is a little longer than the others, enameloplasty can create greater harmony among the teeth and in the smile.
- Gum Contouring: A gingivectomy, or crown lengthening can correct problems if the gum line lacks symmetry or is uneven. If the gum line is too low, it makes the teeth look short and squared; removing some of that gum tissue will expose parts of the teeth that were covered, making them look longer and bigger. Gum contouring also helps improve gum health because we eliminate any gingival pockets that were present.
- Tooth Bonding: A patient may have discoloration caused by dental decay or old tooth fillings that may be broken, chipped or discolored. Composite resin materials are stronger and have excellent properties that mimic the appearance of the natural tooth structure. Composite resin can also correct minor problems with shape and alignment.
- Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain Veneers are thin shells made of porcelain that have esthetic advantages, and can provide major changes to the shape of a patient’s teeth smile. Our dentist may recommend veneers if a patient’s teeth are broken, worn out, or out of alignment. See our Smile Gallery with before and after photos.
“Great cosmetic work results should not only improve the appearance but also be credible! The appearance of the teeth and the smile should look exactly like the natural teeth; otherwise it hasn’t accomplished its goal.”
- Dental Crowns and Bridges: If the teeth need significant repair or are broken, they may need to be covered with Missing teeth may need dental bridges. The new materials that are available today are much better than those used in the past, and we can create outstanding restorations that copy nature like never before.
An individual’s needs will determine a course of treatment. Often a patient needs a combination of the techniques described. But cosmetic dentistry is not a cure-all. If a patient’s teeth are extremely out of alignment or the bite is off, a patient may require orthodontics or braces before we address other issues.
If you have questions or concerns, please call our office at 310-417-8177 for a complimentary cosmetic evaluation with our dentist in Culver City, and the Los Angeles Metropolitan area.
CAN YOU TELL IF THESE ARE NATURAL TEETH OR PORCELAIN VENEERS?